Warm roast vegetable and puy lentil salad with falafel
Some people do not agree salads can be served as a meal, they feel it is only a side dish. Hopefully this recipe will prove them wrong. This recipe incorporates cold and warm and more substance than just leaves and vegetables to give more sustenance.
I love falafel, they have lots of flavour and are quite filling. Also, my sister recently introduced me to puy lentils. Puy lentils are high in fibre, high in protein and even suitable for vegans.
Heres my easy to prepare recipe :).
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- whole red pepper diced
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1 cup of mushrooms chopped
- 1 courgette (zucchini) sliced
- dried basil for seasoning
For the main salad:
- a bag of mixed leaves
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 vine tomatoes
- Falafels (I would recommend Couldron Falafels)
- And Puy lentils (I would recommend Merchant Gourmet’s Puy Lentils as they are pre cooked with onion, bay leaf and olive oil so already have some flavour)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add all the vegetables for roasting in a baking tray, drizzle olive oil or rapeseed oil over the vegetables add salt, pepper and the dried basil. Mix the vegetables and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes place the falafel on another baking tray and place on the 2nd shelf of the oven. Mix the vegetables again and cook in the oven with the falafel for a further 10 minutes
- Allow the falafel and vegetables to cool.
- Follow the directions on how to cook your puy lentils.
- Cut up the salad leaves, the tomatoes and cucumber and place in a salad bowl. Add the roasted vegetables in to the salad bowl and mix. After this, layer the puy lentils and top off with the falafel and serve.
Salad dressing:I would recommend a honey mustard dressing a creamy salad dressing.