Spinach and Cheese balls
This recipe is taken from one of my favourite Tamil TV shows “Samayal Samayal” hosted by top chef Venkatesh Bhat.
This dish is quick to make and will definitely impress your family and friends.
Fact of the recipe: This dish can be made vegan if an alternative to cheddar cheese is used or no cheese at all.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 2 cups of spinach (or a big handful)
- ½ tsp of garam masala (optional)
- ½ cup bread crumbs (more maybe required)
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- Cheddar cheese cut in to small pieces approx 150-200g
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Peel and cut 2 large potatoes in to large cubes add to a saucepan of boiling water and a dash of salt for 15 minutes (or until they are soft). Cut the potatoes in to smaller cubes or even mash slightly.
- In a large frying pan add two tablespoons of oil, add the chopped onion and fry till golden brown, then add two cloves of chopped garlic and chopped chilli. (Optional extra 1/2 a tsp of garam masala)
- Add the washed spinach in to the frying pan and stir until the spinach wilts.
- Mix in the potatoes to form the mix and add salt to taste.
- Allow the potato and spinach mix to cool.
- Mix the corn flour with a small quantity of water to make a paste.
- Shape the the potato and spinach mix in to small balls.
- With your thumb flatten the balls to make a dent, place the cheese in to the dent and after this, reshape into a ball again.
- Dip the balls in to the corn flour paste, make sure the entire ball is covered and then dip in to the bowl of bread crumbs. Again, ensure the ball is fully covered in breadcrumbs, otherwise the balls are more likely to crack in the oil.
- Fry in hot oil till the breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
- They are best served warm as the cheese should have melted