Bruschetta Con Funghi
I tried to recreate my own version of Pizza Express’s famous starter, Bruschetta Con Funghi (which unfortunately has been taken off the menu). As the name states Bruschetta con fungi is literally mushrooms with bruschetta! It’s a filling starter so a bigger portion with a side salad would be plenty for a main.
This recipe like most of the other recipes I share, is easy to make and tastes so good!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Ingredients: (To serve 8)
- 800g sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium sliced red onion
- 2 gloves chopped garlic
- A handful of chopped parsley
- approx. 200 ml double cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Ciabatta bread
- Drizzle some olive oil in to a hot pan and fry onions on a low heat
- Once the onions begin to soften add the garlic and parsley and continue to fry.
- Add the mushrooms to the garlic, onion and parsley, as the mushrooms begin to cook they will shrink in size.
- Pour the double cream into the pan and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over a low flame over 20 minutes this will allow the sauce to thicken and the mushroom flavour to infuse in to the cream.
- Once the sauce is prepared cut the ciabatta in half with the soft part facing up and drizzle some olive oil over the bread and place in the oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the bread is hot, pour the mushroom sauce over the bread and drizzle thick balsamic vinegar over the top before serving.